Friday, January 27, 2012

Katja: WOW Brand: FREITAG




Katja is a working mom form Lausanne, Switzerland.

www.freitag.ch/













Manuel: So Katja tell me aout your WOW! brand?

Katja: One of my favorites is Freitag a Swiss brand famous for its recycled bag collections. It's a truly amazing brand as real start-up success story. It comes from here - Zurich actually - which makes me feel close to the brand. It was founded in the 90ies by the two Freitag brothers who started to produce those bags for themselves, Bike couriers,  friends and DJs. It largely spread through the scene and years later they are seen as some of the coolest bags in the world.

M: What makes it a WOW brand then?

K: You know I have plenty of brands I like but only a few stand the test of time. Freitag is real, not a fad as so many other brands and there is true substance.


M: So do you actually own one?

K: Yes I have the classic shopping bag. I like the cool design. Its super sturdy as all their bags are made from recycled led truck tarps, seat belts and airbags. So every piece is unique. I use it for grocery shopping so I do not have to carry the classic brown paper bags around.


M: I hear that you like the sustainability aspect of it.

K: Yes. Eco is big on my agenda. I hate those disposable shopping bags. My Freitag is timeless, super solid, waterproof and I can't image that it will ever break. And it gets better looking the more you use it.

M: But there are plenty of other bags with similar strengts out there.

K: Agree, but non of them are as cool as Freitag. Those guys have more to offer. You can create your own bag on line cutting the pieces directly from the Tarp and therefore making it even more special. Itis then called "F your fault". How cool is that?!!! On top all the bags are handmade in Switzerland.










Then there are loads of different styles. Travel bags, notebook bags, iPhone and iPad covers etc. Their man bag line is a classic as well. Taking a laugh at the 70ies man bags. Really funky but man needs to dare...






So in essence what I love about Freitag is the combination between style, sustainability, functionality and of course Swissness!

M: Thanks Katja!

Here a Freitag ad on one of their bags:


2 comments:

  1. Now - actually Freitag is one of my HATE brands...

    actually, I like it - but the brand is totally dead.

    When I was young (1994, starting with Architecture in Zurich...) Freitag was a cool brand, was very difficult to find... but well - that's 20 years since... and NOTHING happened! You remember - Tocotronic, they were cool at the same time... and still the young guys in Hamburg dress the same way... unbelievable!

    One thing about Freitag, though: Last year they we issuing some kind of a new line... a more classic design, but with the plastic material as well:
    THAT was cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I agree. A lot happened on the product front. Just see how the assortment has evolved. YES it's defiantly not as cutting edge as it used to be (Peter, Paul and Sue are wearing them as well these days), BUT Freitag stayed true to the product and to me there is a lot of substance. Manuel

      Delete